Thursday, August 6, 2015

Just Maybe....

For those who follow this blog (is there anyone left?) you know I've haven't been running for over three years due to a number of skeletal-muscular issues. During the past few months I've been slowly, carefully, quietly, and (surprisingly) patiently easing myself back into running. It wasn't a planned thing, it just sort of happened.

It all started when I decided to jog (more like shuffle) a short section of smooth trail while out on a hike. From there I began mixing in 10- 30 second jogs throughout all my hikes. There wasn't any structure to my "Jikes" (Jog/Hikes), I let the terrain dictate whether I waked or jogged. Over time I cautiously increased the duration of the jogging segments and found for the majority of time I didn't have any increase in pain/discomfort.

I'm current running 45 - 90 minutes, 2-3 days per week. I still mix in walking breaks, mainly on inclines, but manage to run about 80% of the time. It's been a difficult 3+ years and I anticipate setbacks, but I'm pleased with my progress so far. For now, I'm taking one day at a time and not planning ahead. Given my history, it's the wise thing to do. Perhaps the trail gods will be kind to me and I'll see some of you on the trail this autumn.

Just maybe....

2 comments:

  1. Dan, That's great to hear. Two words for you "Snowshoe Racing"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scotty, one obstacle at a time but it would be awesome to get back on the shoes again.

      Delete

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...