Thursday, January 17, 2013

This Weekend On The Trails

I decided to resurrect my "Weekend on the Trails" posts. I stopped doing this a couple of years ago (maybe longer) because I was too busy training and racing to keep up with this series.  Now I have plenty of free time to search the internet for the best races in the greater New England area so you can spend your time doing something more productive. Like watching reality TV. :-)   OK, let's get to it!

Saturday, January 19

Hoot -Toot, and Whistle 5K Snowshoe Race, Readsboro, VT

The course is point to point, very gentle grade single track on the Catamount Trail. The Catamont is the longest XC ski and snowshoe trail in North America. It travels 300 miles from Readsboro to Canada along the Deerfield River on the Hoosac Tunnel and Wilmington Narrow Gauge Train Rail Bed.  Fear not, you don't have to run 300 miles, only 3! This race is part of the WMAC/Dion Showshoe Race Series.

Whitaker Woods 4M Snowshoe Scramble, North Conway, NH

The course consists of groomed trail and twisty singletrack.  I hear the groomed trails are very fast but snow cover in the denser woods is a little spotty but adequate. This is based on recent recon done by Kevin Tilton and Jim Johnson.  This race is part of the Granite State Snowshoe Series.


Sunday, January 20

Bradbury Squall 3.5M Snowshoe Race, Pownal, ME
I don't now anything about the course other than it's in Bradbury Mountain State Park and does include singletrack trail.  The race is hosted by Trail Monster Running so you know it will be a first-class event.

Yes, I know this a very lean race schedule but it's winter in New England. What can you expect?  Just hold your horses, there will be more than you can handle soon enough.

Happy racing!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Dan. I'm looking forward to some shorter races in the late winter/spring. I'll stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...