Friday, April 25, 2008

Product Review - Merrell Overdrive Trail Shoes


I want to give you an update on the Merrell Overdrive trail shoes I have been training in for the past two months. A long-term injury has prevented me from logging the amount of miles I wanted to in the shoes but I have run in them long enough to make an evaluation of their performance. First, here is what I like about them. They are light for a trail shoe but still offer good protection from sharp rocks, roots, etc. The shoes also have very good cushioning and can be worn on small stretches of pavement without any problem. The Vibram sole provides excellent traction in mud and over loose rocks. The Merrills drain quickly after water crossings. On the negative side, the toe box is too small. It is neither high enough nor wide enough. I have already started to develop black toenails on both feet due to lack of space. Buying a half size up, or even a full size may eliminate the problem. The shoe has a large mesh that makes it light and drain quickly but also allows trail debris find its way into the shoe rather easily. This can contribute to hot spots and blisters on longer runs. Overall, I am happy with the shoe but would definitely size up if I get another pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...